WordPress is the world’s most popular CMS since 2003. Over the years, WordPress has become the most popular CMS and superstardom in the blogosphere. The New York Times, CNN, Mashable, eBay are all the WordPress blog users.
It is hard to believe that 74.6 million websites depend on WordPress. Approximately out of which 37 million are hosting on WordPress.com. It holds 126M unique visitors per month, which is quite impressive!
Last year in a survey, it was estimated that in almost every second approximately six news posts are published on WordPress, which means 342 in every minute and 20,000 per day! This statics is truly mind-numbing.
Online marketing professionals have found it one of the most blogged topics and nearly found all its keywords with high Pay per click competition. Undoubtedly, the Plugins has made WordPress on high demand from any other CMS.
These Plugins extend and capitalize on the functionality of WordPress. If any user wants to add an event calendar, video gallery, Twitter Feed, Facebook Fan Box, and more to his/her site, then WordPress makes this possible with plugins. These plugins are mostly free of costs while some are reasonably charged.
Here is the list of some essential WordPress plugins that are required to be installed before creating a new blog. Each of these plugins is dedicated to the user experience, site optimization, sharing on social networks, etc.
WordPress.com have lots of smart features that are only available to self-hosted sites. Beyond the quality of your articles, it is important to maintain the look and feel of your blog.
Beautifying your self-hosted website with all the features of WordPress.com means one has to install and maintain dozens of individual plugins. But JetPack offers all solution in one.
This plugin allows to customize users platform, organize menus, widgets on the sidebars, create contact forms, implement CTA buttons. Jetpack takes care to provide you help for a good user experience.
Even better, if the user can add a personal touch to hid/her site through this plugin.
- To install over two dozen popular plugins with one click.
- Allowing WordPress.com users to interact with users website.
- Improves the website’s performance by taking the load of these features.
- Count on regular updates, enhancements, and troubleshooting from the same folks who build WordPress.com.
Contact Form 7
It manages multiple contact forms and also customizes the form and the mail contents flexibly with simple markup. You can also enhance this plugin using additional modules.
Yoast plugin offers several plugins for WordPress users to optimize their WordPress SEO. It takes care of all technical optimization and helps the blogger to write better content.
It forces the blogger to choose an appropriate keyword when you’re writing your articles and then makes sure you use that focus keyword everywhere.
Benefits of using Yoast Plugin
- The plugin helps the blogger to write SEO based content which not only increases the rank but also increases the click through for organic search results.
- The plugin checks the page analysis which allows the blogger to write meta titles and descriptions for all the categories, tag and custom taxonomy archives, giving the option to optimize further those pages.
- With the Yoast SEO plugin, you can control which pages Google shows in its search results and which pages it doesn’t show.
- Offers import and export functionality
- This plugin is Multi-site compatible. i.e. The XML Sitemaps work fine in all setups, copy the settings from one blog to another, or make blogs default to the settings for a particular blog.
Smart Layers Plugin
Smart Layers Plugin are instantly mobile-ready, customized easy-to-install features that float over your pages and provide sharing, following, and content recommendations with one piece of code.
Smart Layers consists of the “layers”, they are:
- Share Layer: It shares the buttons which are for every user
- Follow Layer: It follows the buttons that float in the top right corner of your pages near your brand
- Recommended Content Layer
- What’s Next Layer – smart suggestions customized for every visitor that appear when they scroll down your pages
These smart layers provide additional flexibility and significant boosts in performance to traditional social tools. The plugin is very easy to use, and the best part is that it is not intrusive but incentive. In two clicks, your readers can either share or like, or read more of your articles.
Google Analytics Yoast
The Google Analytics by Yoast plugin for WordPress allows you to track your blog easily and always stays up to date with the newest features in Google Analytics.
Below mentioned are some of the essential features of Google Analytics Yoast:
- Track your live sessions.
- Know the audience through time and over time.
- Identify the sources of your traffic, and the media (mobile / tablet /computer)
- Targeting your audience knowing their demographic origin, sex, age, etc.
- Establish the most followed pages and articles.
- Know the destination of clicks of your readers and the bounce rate.
The most popular plug-in for anti-spam- Akismet and you will be protected from unwanted spam or bad people who have produced undesirable content. Everything is automated and supported by the extension that will filter your comments.
Install it as soon as creating your website. With these extensions, you should have a good start on WordPress and then create a content strategy for your blog.
Some essential features of Akismet Plugin are:
- Each comment has a status history, so you can easily see which comments were caught or cleared by Akismet and which were spammed or unspammed by a moderator.
- URLs are shown in the comment body to reveal hidden or misleading links.
- Moderators can see the number of approved comments for each user.
- A discard feature that outright blocks the worst spam saving you disk space and speeding up your site.
WP-Optimize is an extensive WordPress database cleanup and optimization tool. It allows to create beautiful option forms and popups for users WordPress website and convert many users into subscribers.
It comes packed with features like page-level targeting, analytic, split testing and exit-intent technology which allows the user to display option from when s/he is about to leave your website.
If there is a piracy problem in your host, then BackWPup is a good choice. It sets daily backups but of course, you can adjust it based on your website needs. It is used to save users complete installation including /wp-content/ and push them to an external Backup Service, like Dropbox, S3, FTP, etc.
We hope this article helped you learn about the few must have WordPress plugins if you create a Blog. Hope you install these plugins to improve your WordPress experience.
Samuel Dawson is a theme developer in the area of various CMS available in the market. He has been a great PSD to WordPress theme developer in Designs2html Ltd with extinct terminologies. Samuel likes to chat on new technological skills, new updates and user retention. Samuel is a key Front End Manager here.