Released very early this year (January 2017), the Asus Zenfone AR remains one of the best and most pricey smartphone from Asus. The device boast of a top quality primary camera, a fast processor, and large storage unit.
Let’s see what this premium beast from the makers of the Asus Zenfone V is offering. But before that, it is pertinent to state a fun fact about the Asus Zenfone AR. It is the first smartphone to come with support for both Augmented Reality (AR) and Virtual Reality (VR).
Design & Display
The Asus Zenfone AR comes with a metal body with an aluminum covering around the sides and edges but a roughly textured faux leather covering on the back. The front appearance of the device is pretty much basic with menu and back navigation keys flanked to the right and left of the home button respectively. The home button, by the way, doubles as the fingerprint sensor of the Asus Zenfone AR.
As simple as the frontal looks, it gets quite tricky at the back. There is a metal panel at the top of the device that contains a number of components; more than you see on every smartphone out there.
The metal panel houses three cameras, LED flash and a sensor. The three cameras are the conspicuous main rear camera, a motion tracking rear camera, and a depth-sensing rear camera. Don’t get confused. These cameras are put in place to suit the AR and VR functionalities of the Asus Zenfone AR.
At the bottom of the device, the 3.5mm headphone jack, the USB Type-C port, microphone and the single speaker grill are found.
The display of the Zenfone AR is a scratch resistant 5.7 inch Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen. The display has a resolution of 2560 x 1440 pixels resolution and a high pixel density of 515 ppi. Being an expensive and fragile device, it is protected scratch and easy shattering by the Corning Gorilla Glass 4.
The Asus Zenfone AR runs the Android v7.0 Nougat operating system out of the box. The user interface has been modified to Asus’ native ZenUI 3.0.
Performance and Memory
The Asus Zenfone AR uses a Kyro processor with 4 cores (Quad-core) which run at super speed of 2.3GHz. Being a AR and VR supporting smartphone, anything less would ahve been disappointing.
The System-on-Chip used of the Zenfone AR is Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 821 SoC which is accompanied by the Adreno 530 GPU, also by Qualcomm.
The Asus Zenfone AR comes in about 4 versions as classified on the basis of storage. Depending on how fast you want your device to run, you could opt for a Zenfone AR with either 6GB of RAM or 8GB. Your choice.
The built-in storage capacity also varies – 32GB, 64GB, 128GB or 256GB. Irrespective of your choice of storage, you can alternate the SIM 2 slot and use as a micro SD slot. The Asus Zenfone AR permits storage expansion to up to a whooping 2 Terabytes.
As mentioned earlier, the Asus Zenfone AR has 3 cameras, but only one is tasked with the duty of snapping pictures – the conspicuous 23-megapixels camera. And it does that very well. It is also assisted by the LED flash to provide the best image quality under any light conditions.
On the front, the 8-megapixels lens is in put charge of taking selfie photos.
A smartphone as powerful as the Zenfone AR needs nothing short of a powerful battery… and that’s what on board. The battery is a non-removable Lithium Polymer cell with a capacity of 3,300 mAh and fast charge support.
Device X Specifications
- 2G: GSM 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz.
- 3G: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 2100 MHz.
- 4G: LTE with VoLTE.
- Network Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE Cat6 300/50 Mbps.
- SIM Type: Micro-SIM, dual standby.
- SIM Count: Dual SIM.
- OS: Android 7.0 (Nougat).
- User Interface:
Design & Display
- Dimensions: 158.67 x 77.7 x 8.95 mm.
- Weight: 170g.
- Display size: 5.7 inches.
- Display Resolution: 1440 * 2560 pixels.
- Pixel resolution: ~515 ppi pixel density.
- Display Technology: Super AMOLED QHD capacitive touchscreen.
- Form Factor: Touchscreen Bar.
- Build: Metal Unibody Design.
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 4
- Colours: Black.
- Processor Name/Technology: Qualcomm Snapdragon 821
- Processor Speed: 2.35 GHz.
- Number of Processor Cores: 4 (Quad-Core).
- Graphics Processor: Qualcomm Adreno 530
- RAM: 6GB & 8GB
- Internal Storage: 32GB, 64GB, 128GB & 256GB
- External Storage: expandable up to 2TB with microSD.
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Ambient Light, Proximity, Compass, Fingerprint sensor, Gyroscope, Barometer, Hall Sensor.
- Lens: 23MP SONY IMX318 lens
- LED Flash: Yes
- Video recording: Yes, 1080p@30fps.
- Properties:Face detection
- Lens: 8MP.
- LED Flash: –
- Video recording: Yes.
- Properties: –
- Music Support: AAC, AMR, MP2, MP3, M4A, MKA.
- Loudspeaker: Yes.
- Audio Technology: n/a.
- Video Support: MP4/MPEG4/H.263/H.264 player.
- FM Radio: Yes.
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.2.
- Bluetooth Profiles: A2DP, LE.
- WiFi: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n , Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot.
- GPS: GPS + GLONASS.
- USB: micro-USB v2.0.
- USB OTG: Yes.
- NFC: No.
- 3.5mm audio jack: Yes.
- Battery Capacity: 3,300 mAh.
- Battery Technology: Li-Polymer.
- Removable? No.
- Fast Charging: Yes.
- Extra Features: –
- Launch Date: January, 2017.
- Availability: February, 2017.
How much is the Asus Zenfone AR?
When launched, the Asus Zenfone AR cost nearly $1000. Now, it goes for about $600.