There is a lot of confusion around the difference between virgin, yaki, and Remy hair. In this piece, I will try and explain the difference between the three types.
The world of hair is truly one of the most diverse of all types of products. There are no two hairs that are exactly the same, and this is because there are thousands of different varieties of hair.
With that in mind, here are some true tips for spotting the difference between Virgin, Yaki, and Remy hair.
Differences between the Virgin, Remy, and Yaki hair
- The Virgin hair has its cuticles still intact, with each of the hair the same size from the root to tip, while the Yaki hair is a hair that has been processed to match that kinky texture.
- The Yaki hair refers to the hair texture, while Remy and Virgin hairs describe the quality of the hair.
- The Remy hair donor has used bleach, dye, or perm on the hair, while the virgin hair donor hasn’t used any chemical product on the hair.
- Yaki supposedly tangles less, sheds less, etc.
- Yaki hair is the relaxed texture of Afro-American/Caribbean hair.
- Remy hair is taken from a single donor, whereas Yaki hair can be Remy, non-Remy, or synthetic.
This is a type of natural hair that is free from dyes, beaches, color treatment and has never been chemically processed in any way. If your hair has been color-treated or chemically processed, it can never go back to being virgin hair and has lost its virgin hair strands forever.
Virgin hair is more costly and superior to Remy hair because they are stronger, stays longer, and looks more natural.
When the virgin hair is at its healthiest, it looks better, stronger, and tends to last longer. Because your virgin hair is natural, You must treat it with attention, care for it, wash regularly, and keep it at its best. Generally, the color of virgin hair is dark brown.
For your hair to qualify as virgin hair, it must meet the required standards, Which are not permed, dyed, and color-treated.
Remy hair is the highest quality of human hair. It is taken from a donor when the cuticles are still intact and not scraped, meaning it is shiny, soft, and healthy.
The hair strands the same path from the root to the tip, which bestows it with that fine and sleek look. It is assumed to be the best of the best because it is 100% human hair. Virgin cuticle-aligned hair is also known as Remy hair.
All Remy hair is human hair, but not all human hair is Remy hair. It is used to produce high-quality hair extensions, which are the most popular in the market due to their price and quality. It is not necessarily virgin hair since it can be permed or colored.
The Yaki hair is the texture of the hair extension and locks. It is for naturals who want to maintain a natural look for their hair and wigs.
This hair is not as sleek and straight as Remy’s hair. It looks like chemically relaxed Caribbean or afro Caribbean hair.
The Yaki hair never comes from one donor but different sources: Remy, non-Remy or synthetic.
This hair is popular for people whose hair has been straightened and wants to increase their hair volume. The cuticles of the hair are constantly destroyed during the gathering process.
There are four types of Yaki hair.
- Straight Yaki hair – preferable if you need something with a bit of volume
- Regular Yaki hair – straight and relaxed
- Kinky Yaki hair – hasn’t undergone any kind of treatment and is still not stretched.
- Coarse Yaki hair – no chemical process and feels more natural