Different types of cultures can only be deduced based on various forms.
The different cultures are impossible to count because of variations in languages, beliefs, rituals, norms, values, and other cultural elements.
Culture is a way of life that comprises different languages, religions, and lifestyles. Yet, it can never be easy to define culture because it continuously evolves.
The etymology of the word ‘culture’ started way back in the great Roman times. Culture from that time meant the cultivation of the soul or mind.
Furthermore, after the influence of German thinkers of the 18th century, culture came to get its present meanings.
The lines separating one culture from another is quite blurry. How one classifies the different cultures depends on how one measures boundaries.
Furthermore, we can classify different cultures based on several classifying cultures.
Table of Contents
- Different types of cultures
Different types of cultures
The various types of culture are discussed below;
1. Material culture
Material culture is a physical culture that people create or make by society—countries of the world boast massive technology creativity.
China is known for producing good phones, America has cars. This production is something common enough to unite society. Therefore, becoming a part of material culture.
2. Non-Material culture
This type of culture is called the intangible things produced by a culture. They are part of a culture that we cannot touch, feel, taste, or hold.
Furthermore, non-material culture has a significant influence on our lives. In Nigeria, it’s a must for a child to respect their elders, and it is done by prostrating or kneeling, greeting the elder, showing maximum respect, and so on.
These are the non-material part of cultures that will touch and feel. However, this has a significant influence on the lives of youth in Nigeria.
3. Symbol culture
Symbols are signs and arts that stand for something else. Symbols are non-verbal communication means.
The movement of some body parts can convey different meanings in different cultures. In Nigeria, for instance, nodding the head means saying No! however, in Bulgaria, movement of head back and forth may mean yes!.
In some parts of Africa, the Middle East, and Asia, you cant eat with your left hand without the people not feeling offended.
However, this is a norm in many western countries.
4. Regional culture
Regional culture is a type of culture that is unique to a particular region. In America, they have a rich culture of enjoying baseball.
Furthermore, some parts of Nigeria speak pidgin, a language some people call Nigeria English. Moreso, certain food is for some particular regions; for example, deep-dish pizza is a norm for the people of Chicago.
Furthermore, different words can be used for the same things from one country to another. For instance, carbonated drinks are soda, pop, and even soft drinks depending on the region.
Language generally influences how we perceive other people’s cultures.
5. Corporate Culture
In some places of work, they can allow their workers to dress very casually, and in some areas, you have to dress formally.
Furthermore, you cant dress in a lab coat to an engineering site, the culture of wearing a lab coat is for medical personals and scientists.
Moreso, as a footballer, you cant wear jeans and a pair of farm boots to the field to play football. The culture of a workplace is entirely different from another.
The attitude at which people act and relate is an example of the corporate culture.
6. Popular culture
Slangs is a perfect example of popular culture. The activities of the citizens also determine popular culture. What songs are people listening to? What are people reading?
Furthermore, the favorite movie people are wearing?. The slang people are saying?. People’s dress at a particular time is an excellent example of popular culture.
Social media influencers, musicians, and movie producers can impact which activities, slang, styles, and mode of dressings are most popular.
7. Cultures by ethnicity
Discussing different cultures without discussing cultures by ethnicity is never complete.
There are different types of cultures by nationality or ethnicity;
- Western culture: Western culture is a heritage of social norms, traditional beliefs, belief, political systems of the western world. Western culture is influence by Roman law, Christian culture and Greek philosophy. Furthermore, western cultures includes in the Americas and Oceania region. Western culture has developed many traditions of which the most significant are: tradition of the importance of law. Furthermore, Christianity, philosophical from the bible.
- Anglo-America culture: Angro- America often refers to a region in the Americas that speaks English as their main language. Furthermore, the British empire have significant role and cultural impact in the region
- Latin America culture: The primary religion in Latin America is Christianity, having a diverse population with many ethnic group. Furthermore, Latin America are Americas whose cultural, religious and heritage can be trace to the Latin culture of the Roman America
- Islamic culture: Islamic culture refers to practices which are develope around the religion of Islam. Islamic cultures which is the Muslim culture has wide influence in Egypt, Turkey, Morocco, The Persian, Somali, Indonesian, Indian and many others. The main language of Islamic culture is Arabic Language, Persian, Indic, Turkish.
- Arab Culture: This is the culture of the Arabs, from the Atlantic Ocean to the Horn of Africa and the Indian Ocean, this Arabs have a very rich culture of dressing. The men dresses in a traditional flowing robes and an headdress. Furthermore, the women wears a full length body cover Abayas and hijab.
- Indosphere: This is the culture of the south Asia and Southeast Asia.
- Sinosphere: Culture of the east Asia.
- African culture: African culture are widely diversed. Social values, religion, morals all contributed to Africa cultures differentiating it from the culture of different continents. Folktales plays important roles in many African countries. Furthermore, Africa still boast of a very good music and musical instruments.
Understanding the various meanings and types of culture is essential.
Thinking about the different cultures gives you a better understanding of the world around you and the ideas, norms, and values you experience in your day-to-day activities.
Furthermore, it’s worth noting that cultures move from one generation to another. One of the key features of culture is that you can learn it, and learning culture is the quickest way of preserving a culture from one generation to the other.
In conclusion, culture can take some time to learn, and it can even be difficult for people to adjust to a new culture.
People experience culture shock when exposed to a new environment; individuals with self-control will adapt quickly to a new culture and the new way of life.
Culture is generally the collective Programming of the mind that distinguishes one group of people from another.