Many only know of creams, soaps, face packs, foundations, and in extreme cases pills and injections. All these options listed above are not quite healthy, if you are a regular reader on our blog, you should have known that by now.
Essential oils are safer than these creams, pills, and injections, they are gotten from nature and if used in the right way, they offer better and long-lasting results than these.
Aside from making your skin fair, these oils will also improve the overall quality of your skin by giving your skin the right kind of nutrient and nourishment it needs. This, in turn, will make your skin light and healthy.
Top Skin Brightening Essential Oils
Below are 15+ Essential Oils to brighten your skin and keep it healthy as well. Don’t forget to share this post with your friends and family.
Blackcurrant Seed Essential Oil
This oil is well-known for its effectiveness in combating dry skin. It also heals scars, clears spots, reverses the formation of wrinkles, and maintains a healthy and natural glow.
Its effectiveness is based on its rich content of omega-3 and 6 fatty acids, these nutrients keep your skin soft, bright, and healthy. Put a drop of this oil on your fingertips and massage your face gently with it.
You can also do the same for any part of your body. You can do this in the daytime.
Lemon Essential Oil
This is the most effective skin lightening oil, it is dense in compounds that are considered natural bleachers, and this includes citric acid and limonene.
Limonene treats uneven skin tone, it lightens the skin and even prevents different types of cancer. While citric acid eliminates dead skin cells from the surface of your skin by peeling them off, and it also prevents the appearance of new debris on the surface of the skin.
Dilute this oil with coconut oil and rub on your skin, massage gently and leave it on overnight.
Sandalwood Essential Oil
This is a natural skin toner, regular use of this oil on your skin can whiten it and eradicate blemishes, spots, and blackheads. It is one of the best remedies for dry skin, some experts consider it the ultimate and it should only be used at night.
It closes pores and makes your skin firmer and tighter, it is a natural astringent and it also has anti-inflammatory properties. Sandalwood essential oil also cures rashes, swelling, and eczema.
Tea Tree Oil
This essential oil whitens the skin and eliminates scars, it is a perfect solution for natural skin lightening and it also has a lot of skin benefits most especially for oily skin.
It treats acne scars, skin damages, prevents breakouts, and tightens skin pores. It also regulates the appearance of fat on the skin. Dilute this oil with coconut or olive oil and apply it on your skin, massage it gently and leave it on overnight.
Argan Essential Oil
Also known as “liquid gold”, this oil has a lot of skin benefits including lightening. It also fights aging. At night, rub this oil on your face or all over your body and don’t wash it off. Let it remain on your body until the next morning.
It also has anti-inflammatory properties and it benefits your hair as well. It treats the appearance of blemishes on the skin, it clears wrinkles and fights dry skin.
Argan essential oil, also called Moroccan oil whitens your skin and gives it a natural glow, it does this by reducing the production of melanin. It is used in treating skin problems like rash, eczema, pimples, bruises, and cuts.
Apply this oil on your body after having your bath for an effective result and do this in the night so it can stay on your skin for a long time before bathing the next day.
Carrot Seed Oil
This is a nutritious oil for the skin, it nourishes your skin and lightens it. The skin benefits of this oil are due to its rich content of beta-carotene, one of the most effective skin lightening phytonutrients.
Beta-carotene reduces the production of pigments by inhibiting the action of tyrosinase, the enzyme responsible for the production of pigments. Store this oil in a dark bottle and use it on your skin every night.
Olive Essential Oil
Olive oil is highly dense in vitamin E, this makes it one of the best skin foods because the skin requires vitamin E for a lot of important functions. It also lightens the skin and helps eradicate wrinkles, crow’s feet, and fine lines.
Olive essential oil is also known to cure skin cancer and other skin problems. Apply this oil at night all over your body and massage gently, do this after having your bath.
It will eliminate uneven skin tone and pigments, it can be used to remove makeup. It has a fast action as you will see a brighter skin after using this oil for a few days.
This oil lightens skin and also has a lot of healing properties on the skin. It treats a lot of skin problems like sunburn, blemishes, inflammation, and other skin damages.
Apply this on your skin at night, it also relieves stress, fatigue, and clears blocked airways.
Grapeseed Essential Oil
This essential oil suits oily skin best, it absorbs excess oil from your skin and reduces the risk of acne and breakouts. It whitens your skin and clears blemishes.
It has fast action and it is used in a lot of skin lightening products. Have your bath and apply this oil in drops on your fingertips and use it to massage your body. Let it stay on your body for a long period of time, you can do this at night.
This oil is ideal for whitening any skin type including oily skin, it can be used alone on your skin and it can also be combined with other oils like jojoba or bergamot just to increase its effectiveness.
It is also used to treat irritated skin and other skin problems. Wash your skin and apply it on your body at night before going to bed.
Marula Essential Oil
Marula oil is dense in oleic acid, this nutrient is required to make the skin healthy. It hydrates your skin and fights a dull appearance, it even has a strong anti-aging property.
This oil is highly beneficial to people who travel a lot whose skin is exposed to pollution. For best results, apply this oil at night, with regular use, you will notice a fairer and brighter looking skin.
This oil is highly effective for lightening oily skin, it reduces the production of excess sebum and it prevents your pores from getting clogged. It eliminates the signs of aging and prevents wrinkles.
Mix a few drops of this oil with other oils such as sandalwood or bergamot and apply on your skin, massage gently and leave it overnight.
Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender suits normal and dry skin best, it is also good for oily skin and it whitens all skin types. It heals skin problems and diseases, it also fights hyperpigmentation and soothes your nerves.
Apply this on your body at night.
Geranium Essential oil
This oil whitens the skin and fights inflammation and acne. It makes your complexion light and free from spots. Mix it with a carrier oil like coconut, olive oil or almond before applying it on your skin.
Leave it on overnight.
This is a natural skin lightener, it lightens skin patches and cures skin problems and blemishes such as burns and rashes. It has a cooling effect on the skin and it also protects the skin from inflammation.
Apply coconut oil on your skin on a daily basis and you will get the desired result.
Rose Essential Oil
This is a well-known natural skincare product. It has the same effect as rose water, rose essential oil can be used on its own without mixing it with any other ingredient.
Apply this oil on your face or body before going to bed at night, and massage your skin gently after applying the oil. It lightens all skin types and it also fights blemishes and dark spots.
It also makes your skin tight, firm, and elastic.
Turmeric Essential Oil
Turmeric essential oil is a potent skin lightener, it is also dense in antibacterial and antiseptic properties. It is suitable for people with oily skin who need to whiten their skin in a natural and healthy way.
Apply a few drops of turmeric oil on your skin every night before you go to bed, this will give you a bright and spotless skin within few days. People with sensitive skin can also use this oil.
Castor Essential Oil
This is an effective skin whitener, it hydrates your skin, fights aging, and reduces acne. It eliminates oil from skin pores, removes pigments, and makes the skin clear and bright.
Apply this all over your body at night.
Orange Essential Oil
This oil is a storehouse of vitamin C and it is used a lot in making skincare products. It brightens the skin and gets rid of dark circles and dark spots. It also helps in the production of collagen.
This makes your skin firm, smooth, and youthful. It fights aging and increases the flow of blood to your skin.
Almond Essential Oil
This is a very good oil for skin, it treats under-eye circles and makes your skin brighter. It nourishes your skin because it is dense in vital nutrients needed by the skin.
It exfoliates, it removes dead skin cells from the surface of your skin, and this makes your skin brighter and gives it a healthy radiance. It also gives you a youthful, sparkling, and fresh look.
Apply this oil in drops on your fingertips, rub it on your skin and massage it, leave it on overnight, to get an effective whitening result, you can mix it with sandalwood essential oil.
This combination can be used on all skin types, it will give you glowing and flawless skin and it gets rid of tanning.
How to Use Essential Oils for Lightening?
There are a lot of ways you can make use of these oils.
- You can apply some of these oils directly on your skin or mix them with other oils.
- You can perform facial steaming with these oils, add few drops into a bowl of hot water and perform facial steam. The steam from the hot water will carry these oils deep into your skin and help the lightening process.
- You can add the oil of your choice to your face wash, put the amount of face wash you want to use in your palms and add 2 drops of the essential oil, mix it properly and use it.
- You can make your own skin lightening serum by adding 20 drops of the essential oil of your choice to a half cup of sesame oil. You can also add 5 drops each of the following oil, geranium, and lemon to 10 drops of carrot seed oils.
Choose any of these serums and apply it at night before going to bed.
Care and precautions have to be taken when using these oils and here is what you need to know and do:
- Use these oils in very little quantities, don’t use too much. Also, remember to be patient, this is a natural way of brightening your skin, so you won’t get fast action as those chemical-based creams in store.
- If you have extremely oily skin, do not use these oils on your face
- Stop using a particular oil if your skin reacts to it. You can know which oil your skin reacts to by carrying out a patch test. You apply a drop of the oil on your arm or on the inside of your elbow and rub it gently, leave it on for the whole day to see if there is a reaction.
If there is no reaction, you can use the essential oil but if you notice a reaction, mix the essential oil with a carrier oil like coconut, jojoba, olive, or almond oil and apply it on the second hand and leave it on for the whole day again.
If a reaction still occurs, don’t use the oil, try another one, but if there is no reaction, you can use the mixture. It just simply means that the concentration of the phytonutrients in the oil is too strong for your skin, so you have to dilute it before use.
- These oils should be applied on clean skin for effective results, you can have your bath before applying them
- For best results, apply them at night and let it stay on your skin overnight.
- Don’t expose yourself to the high heat of the sun when you put on these oils, that’s why there are applied at night.
- Also, don’t indulge in strenuous physical activities that will make you sweat, the active ingredients in these oils are delicate and might not be able to withstand heat.
- Pregnant women should check with their doctor before using any of these essential oils to prevent complications.
- The use of essential oils is not advisable in certain medical conditions like endocrine profile disorder, so if you have a health condition you are being treated for or you are placed on a medication, check with your doctor if essential oils are safe for you.
Benefits of Using Essential oils on your Skin
- They treat hyperpigmentation. Hyperpigmentation causes unhealthy changes in the color and tone of your skin and it also leads to dark spots.
- Essential oils eradicate stretch marks on your face and body
- They make your skin healthy by giving it the right nutrients
- Some essential oils relieve stress and fight depressions. Some of them even fight pains.
- They can also relieve fatigue, most of these oils are used in aromatherapy to relieve one symptom or the other.
- They keep your skin hydrated.