Google Nest is an arm of Google that markets home products like thermostats, smoke detectors, routers, security systems (like cameras, smart locks and smart doorbells), smart displays and smart speakers.
It was formerly named Nest labs. It was founded in 2010 by Tony Fadell and Matt Rogers who were engineers at Apple. They work majorly in the United States, Canada and Europe.
Their first product (still under the name Nest Labs) was their Nest Learning Thermostat. It was followed in October 2013 by Nest Protect carbon monoxide and smoke detectors then in June 2015, Nest Cam was produced.
In 2014 January, Google purchased Nest Labs for about US$3.2 billion. They still worked independently till 2018 when Nest merged with Google Home electronics, and then Google announced that all their home appliances and products would be marketed under the name Google Nest.
Google Nest Products and Their Products
We will be talking about a few products of Google Nest and their various features.
- Nest Learning Thermostat
- Nest Protect
- Nest Cam Indoor
- Nest Cam Outdoor
- Nest Wifi
Nest Learning Thermostat
This is built on an operating system that enables interaction with your home thermostat via clicking and spinning of its controls.
This brings up options to switch from heating to cooling or vice versa, scheduling and accessing the device settings and energy history. It comes in five different colours which are black, white, brass, copper and stainless steel.
So this makes it compatible with almost any house decor you have presently. It has some amazing features, which are:
- Auto-Away: It turns your thermostat off when you are not home. You should set it though (low limit and high limit)so that your pets do not sweat or freeze to death.
- Split Heat/Cooling Mode: This feature helps for climate areas that have a really hot day and a really cold night, especially during fall and sometimes during spring. You will need to set the high limit and low limit too so that the device sets it to a particular degree to cool the house in the day and heat the house at night.
- Ease of Control: You can control this device from your smartphone, Google Assistant or Alexa. This is useful because there may be times where you would not want to stand up from the bed or walk to where the controls are.
- Password Lock: You can lock the thermostat with a password so that no other occupant of the house can change the temperature without your consent. Only those with the pin will be able to unlock and use it. This can also be useful if you have kids who touch a lot of things around the house.
This is the smart smoke alarm or carbon monoxide detector produced by Nest. There are two versions of the Nest Protect; a battery version and a wired version.
The battery version helps if the house or room has no compatible wiring system for a smoke detector. It notifies with a voice saying Heads up!
There is smoke!, first before the beeping sounds. It has the following features:
- Split Spectrum Sensor: This detects fast or slow-burning fires, so you can differentiate between furniture burning and just a piece of paper burning. If you have these in different rooms, it will tell you which particular room is on fire.
- Ease of Control: You can turn it off with your smartphone or Google Assistant. This is set through the Nest App.
- Path Light: It has a light in the middle of it, so if you work underneath it in the middle of the night, it will turn on that light and guide your way through that path.
Nest Cam Indoor
This is Nest’s indoor camera. It has 1080P HD video, infrared night vision, two-way audio, motion detection and a very sleek design.
The base is magnetic so you can stick it to many metal surfaces. The camera head rotates 360 degrees. It has a pivoting leg that bends to 180 degrees from left to the right.
The size and design make it compatible for most shelves, desktops, nooks and crannies. It is not wireless, so you need to install it close to a power outlet.
The design is clean and minimal and has one LED light that shows blue when you connect to the network, and then it is green when it is on and recording so you know it is working.
Nest Cam Outdoor
This is Nest’s outdoor camera. This helps look after the home outside, 24 hours of the day. It works in the rain or in the sun as it is weather-proof.
It also has a 1080p HD Video feature. It is electrical, so it never runs out of batteries. It also sends an alert when something occurs in the house.
It can tell a person from a thing or an animal. It has a two-way audio function that lets you talk back when a person is at the door.
Since it is controlled from your phone, it enables you to go back and watch videos of earlier times. It has infrared night vision so you can see things that happen outside your house at night.
This is a successor to Google wi-fi. The pack comes with the router and the point which carries the same network, and you can place anywhere else.
It gives you about 2,200 sq. ft. of wi-fi coverage. But with extra points, it can cover about 3,800 sq. ft. The router is controlled by the Google Home App.
You can connect it by scanning a QR code that is under the router.
Its features are as follows:
- Fast Internet
- You can set the device to prioritise if you have so many devices connected to it at once.
- Family Wi-fi feature and Parental Controls.
- Guest Networks (for visitors)
- Google Assistant