The facts that the windows 10 updates are mandatory and they are downloaded and installed on your PC automatically is a matter of convenience for many, and for the users on limited internet services who count every MB that they use, this is a curse.
However, the company aims to make sure that the devices stay updated with the latest improvements and security patches, the fact that it limits the user’s control over their devices and data is something to dwell on.
How to disable Windows 10 Automatic Updates
It is not impossible to retake control of your operating system and prevent it from automatically downloading and installing updates by making use of the registry or the Group Policy Editor. The guide that will be given below will walk you through the steps that you need to take to make sure that updates don’t get installed automatically.
To make changes in the settings in Windows 10 (Pro, Enterprise or Education), you have to make use of the ‘Local Group Policy Editor’. This will disable updates from being downloaded and installed to your computer automatically.
You can, therefore, make changes to your Local Group Policy Editor settings by doing the following:
- Use the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut to access the Command Run.
- Type gpedit.msc. to get access to the Local Group Policy Editor
- You can browse the following path:
Computer Configuration Administrative Templates Windows
Components >> Windows Update
- Double-click on the ‘Configure Automatic Updates’ policy on the right side.
- Check the ‘Enabled’ option on the left side to enable the policy
- You’ll find the following options to choose from to configure automatic updates:
- Notify for download and notify for install.
- Auto-download and notify for install.
- Auto-download and schedule the install.
- Allow the local admin to choose the setting.
You can now choose your preferable update option and configure it here. You can also specify exactly when to install new updates by selecting the fourth (4) option. If you want the choice of installing updates during automatic maintenance, you can choose a particular time and day, and you can even check the option to include other Microsoft products updates as well.
- Click on Apply button.
- Tap the Ok button to complete the task.
If you are among those on a metered internet connection, then your best option is the second option as the updates will not be automatically downloaded to your phone. You will, however, receive a notification in Action Center when the new updates are available but, these updates won’t get downloaded and installed till you do the following:
- Open Settings
- Tap on Update & Security
- Choose Windows Update
- Tap on the Download button
To complete the task hit the Restart button.