WhatsApp is a great messaging app with a significant number of features which includes both video and audio calls. A large number of people use it every day not just because it works, but it’s also convenient.
But there is one feature that has been missing from the app for quite a while, and that is the ability to record calls. Of course, there is a significant concern of surveillance and the misuse of call recordings, but sometimes we are desperately in need of this feature.
However, if you wish to record calls on WhatsApp, there are a few tricks we can show you, but it’s not full-proof as it also depends on the type of smartphone you are using. That being said, these let’s get straight to it. Below are ways you can record WhatsApp calls on Android and iPhone.
Note: Be sure you are not breaching any privacy law by secretly recording calls. You should take informed consent from the person you are calling before the recording.
However, since WhatsApp call recording process is different for various platforms, we took the liberty to separate the sections for a better understanding of the topic. You can feel free to skip a section that is not appealing to you.
Record WhatsApp Calls on Android
WhatsApp call recording does not work on all android device. While some have VoIP call recording already enabled and some don’t. Peek through this list and see if your device is mentioned there. And if you don’t want to go through the list, follow the steps, and it will reveal if your device is supported or not. Also, note that devices that are running Android 9 Pie may prevent the recording due to restrictions that are applied in that OS version.
- Install Cube Call Recorder (free, in-app purchases) and open it. Grant it all the relevant and necessary permissions, and you are right to proceed.
2. Then, launch your WhatsApp and make a call, you would see a widget appear on your screen indicating that it’s recording your WhatsApp call. But if the widget does not appear, then you can manually tap on the microphone icon in the Cube Recorder app. it will start recording afterwards.
3. In some cases, the recordings don’t have audio from the other end. To fix this problem, tap on the hamburger menu and then open ‘Recording’. Change the VoIP recording audio source to Microphone. Always note that it will turn on the loudspeaker as well.
Besides WhatsApp calls, you can also use this app to record cellular calls. While testing, WhatsApp call recording worked brilliantly, without changing the default settings of the device.
Record WhatsApp Calls on iPhone
Apple’s iOS is pretty strict when it comes to privacy, so there’s no easy way to record calls whether cellular or WhatsApp. But a hack has been made to accomplish such task, but it will take a lot of work even though it’s a tedious process where you will need a Mac, yeah a Mac; an iPhone, and a secondary smartphone with WhatsApp credential. The secondary device could be either iPhone or Android.
The secondary device is needed because your primary device will remain connected to your Mac for recording.
1. Connect your device to Mac and grant all necessary permissions. Now open Quick Time and click on the File menu. In this case, you are to choose “New Audio Recording”, then select your iPhone as the source, and click on the record button.
2. From your iPhone, make WhatsApp call to your secondary device which has WhatsApp in it. Once it’s connected, use the WhatsApp’s group calling feature to add the person you want to talk to.
3. Then you can continue the conversation with the secondary device. When you are done with the conversation, stop the recording on QuickTime and then save it on your Mac.
Note: Keep your iPhone connected to the Mac all through the conversation. And make sure that all three WhatsApp numbers are active in the group call. Disconnecting any of the devices will prevent the recording of the call.
As you can see, it’s not easy to record WhatsApp calls. Based on the ongoing tighter privacy controls we can only assume that is going to be even harder in the coming months. iOS has already made it next to impossible to record calls and Android is working towards that direction.
Let us know if you were able to use the methods above. You can also tell us what you think about these new privacy standards which are restricting users from recording calls. Tell us by using the comments section below.