Losing a Snapchat account can be disastrous as many of us use the Social for private purposes and its privacy oriented features. Forgetting passwords or email, or being the victim of hacking are possible ways to lose an account.
This guide aims to show you how to recover your Snapchat account whether you forgot your account password or email or you were hacked, and also how to keep it (literally).
How To Recover Your Lost Snapchat Account?
The first step to solving a problem is to know its root causes. This may be that we forgot our passwords or we were hacked and logged out. Knowing how you lost your Snapchat account should help you understand how to recover it.
How To Recover Your Snapchat Account Of You Forgot Your Password?
If you have forgotten your Snapchat passwords and want to log in, follow the steps below to recover your account by resetting the Passwords.
1. Launch the Snapchat app on your smartphone and tap on Login. Enter your username or email and tap the “Forgot your password” option right under the PASSWORD box.
2. A box will pop up asking you to ” Please choose how you want to reset your password.” Here we choose email. One the next page, enter your email address and tap the “Submit” button (scroll to step 4 if you wish to use phone number).
3. You will receive an email from Snapchat. The email contains a link to reset the password. Tap on the link and enter your new secure password (check how to make easy and secure passwords here lazily).
4. If you wish to recover the account via phone, choose the phone option in step two above and enter your mobile number. Tap the “Continue” button and in the pop-up, choose how you want your phone number to be verified; either via message (Send Via SMS) or call option.
5. Choose the SMS option to receive OTP as it is easier to work with. Enter the OTP that you received in the place provided and proceed to reset your password. (If you enable Do Not Disturb on your SIM the message may not come through so you may have to use the call option).
How to Recover Your Snapchat Account if You Have Forgotten Your Username and Email?
To be sincere, many of us have more than 4 email accounts and also play around with usernames when opening accounts. Other times, we forget our usernames and email because we abandoned the account for a while and we are trying to get back in the game. If you are trying to recover your account in this scenario, try the options below;
1. Try to make a list of all your valid email addresses.
2. Launch the app on your smartphone and tap on Login. Enter your email or password and tap the ‘Forgot your password” option right under the PASSWORD box.
3. A box will pop up asking you to ” Please choose how you want to reset your password.” Here we choose email. One the next page, enter your email addresses and tap the “Submit” button. All invalid emails will result in an error reading “Email address is invalid.”. Keep entering the different email addresses until you get the right one then proceed to reset the password.
How To Recover A Stolen Snapchat Account?
Suppose your account was hacked the recovering the account will be difficult. The difficulty depends on the changes the hacker has made to the hacker. If you can still access the account (if your email has not been changed), then changing the password will be the easiest option.
However, if your recovery email address has been changed and your phone number too then there is only one thing that can be done on your end. Contact Snapchat Help, fill up an account recovery form and hope they recover the account for you.
How To Secure Your Snapchat Account?
While the big corporations will always try their best to secure their platforms, Snapchat users should also know the steps are not complete until they also play a part in securing their accounts
One can open a Snapchat account using a fake email and number combination, which is cool but can be disastrous if you should forget your password or get hacked.
To update your email address and phone number, go to Settings and check.
Use Two Factor Authentication
Also, in Snapchat settings, it will be wise to use Two Factor Authentication. This helps to decrease the chances of being hacked. This will prompt the app to request for a one time code any time you log in. I use Authy Authenticator app for Two Factor authentication.
Remember to use reliable and secure passwords and refrain from sharing your passwords. Security is best when done personally.