There’s no dispute that Google Maps is the best navigating tool that you can use today. While there are other competing navigation apps out there but none can match the accuracy and universality of Google Maps. Aside from bringing exceptional navigational features, Google Maps also carry an excessive of tiny features which enhances the overall experience of the app.
For example, Google Maps automatically turns on dark mode while navigating during the night. The dark mode is a cool feature, and many people are asking questions about making it the default option. Believe it or not, Google Maps does not allow you to use dark mode all the time. Let’s talk about how you can activate the dark mode on Google Maps on any device:
Enabling Google Maps Dark Mode on Android and iPhone
If you follow the given instructions below, you will be able to use dark mode as your default navigation interface. That being said, remember that dark mode only works during navigation and the app will use the light mode in all other instances. However, don’t worry when you unable to see dark mode on Google Maps when you set it up as it will only come only when you start navigating:
Enabling Dark Mode in Google Maps on Android
1. Launch the Google Maps app and click on the hamburger menu marked in the picture below. Then tap on Settings.
2. Tap on “Navigation settings” and scroll down to find the “Map Display” subsection. Now, under the “Color scheme” option, tap to select the “Night” mode.
3. As you can see, the time on the screenshot is 03:13 PM, but the app is using dark mode during navigation.
Enabling Dark Mode in Google Maps on iPhone
1. The process is also similar on the iPhone too. Just launch the Google Maps app and click on the hamburger menu. Then tap on the settings cog icon at the top right corner.
2. Now, tap on ‘Navigation’ and enable the ‘Night’ option for the Color scheme sub-menu just under the ‘Map display’ option.
3. The screenshot below shows dark mode working on an iPhone at about 03:37 PM. this means that the dark mode is working during the day.
Use Dark Mode on Google Maps at any Time
That was quite a beneficial tutorial, and I hope you enjoy it and give it a try. Follow the steps accordingly and enable dark mode on your devices. The dark mode is especially beneficial for smartphones with OLED displays as it could reduce battery consumption during navigation. Share your thoughts on this tip and if you bump into any problem don’t forget to use the comment section below.