Showmax is an online video subscription service (SVOD) launched in South Africa on August 19, 2015. Showmax uses a localization strategy to compete against established video-on-demand competitors, focusing on local content and partnerships with mobile operators.
Showmax will provide live and on-demand television, including football, music, and news. After a year of testing, Showmax, a streaming platform managed by MultiChoice, has announced the launch of a new Showmax Pro service.
Showmax Pro is a type of hybrid platform that, in addition to programming, also offers regular video content. On Showmax on request. Live TV, including SuperSport music channels, news, and live sports programming.
“”Showmax Pro offers all Premier League, Serie A, La Liga, and PSL games, as well as an extensive range of live sporting events, including IAAF Athletics, professional boxing, and the world’s largest marathons,” Multichoice told TechCabal.
In South Africa, Showmax engages with Netflix and Amazon Prime Video.
Showmax is part of the MultiChoice group (which is also a Naspers spinner). Showmax’s engineering team is established in the Czech Republic. Showmax produces engineering and research articles on a technical blog.
The new service was instigated in Nigeria and Kenya on July 7 and will be rolled out in several countries in sub-Saharan Africa over the next six to eight weeks, the company said.
They are found in both countries, which means that the subscription amount is determined in the local currency instead of the universal dollar amount, which is valid for all states. In Nigeria, the entire Showmax Pro will sell 6,300 ($ 16.25) and 3,200 ($ 8.26) for Showmax Pro Mobile.
In Kenya, Showmax Pro and Showmax Pro Mobile will sell for 2,100 Ksh ($ 19.68) and 1,050 Ksh ($ 9.84).
Showmax Pro Competitive Advantage
Most importantly, Showmax is a Netflix clone that offers video on demand, and live TV was never part of the original plan. Live TV and sports are part of DStv Now and are only available to subscribers who have a DStv decoder; It is a small group with less than 20 million subscribers. This has severely limited the growth of the Multichoice transmission service.
Subscribing to Showmax, on the other hand, is an independent option. By adding live television to Showmax’s offer, Multichoice could increase its reach, especially since local network television services are rare in Africa.
The service also has several geographic limitations and is available to users in Africa, Europe, and even Pacific countries such as Australia and New Zealand.
This is also visible with DStv, and DStv is now only available in certain African countries. The service is absent in French-speaking Africa, allowing French OTTs, such as Canal +, to enter and seek market share.
Since Showmax does not have this limitation, it could penetrate these markets and be more competitive.
Features of Showmax Pro
- Download: Showmax’s download feature authorizes users to download up to 25 shows or movies and watch them offline on Android and iOS gadgets and smartphones. There are four different quality settings to reduce the amount of data required for downloading.
- Bandwidth limit: Showmax launched a bandwidth limitation tool that allows users to select different quality levels. Subscribers can choose a low bandwidth limit of 0.3 GB / h, an average limit of 0.7 GB / h, or leave unlimited usage.
- Multiple profiles: Showmax added several profile features, including the ability to define child-friendly patterns with settings for four age groups.
- Mobile phone plan: Showmax introduced a mobile idea with 50% of the standard subscription price. According to Showmax, “smartphones and tablets are for many in Africa the main, if not the only window on the Internet, and so far none of the most popular SVoD services has designed a product specifically for mobile use.”
- Showmax Pro: Showmax launched the Showmax Pro live streaming service and started broadcasting to Africa. In June 2019, Showmax began testing live streaming sports, and the new Showmax Pro service is results-based. In addition to the standard Showmax Pro version, there will also be a half-price mobile version.
Devices That Supports Showmax Pro
Here is a list of compatible devices:
- Personal computers (using a web browser)
- Apple iPhone and iPad with iOS 9.3 or later
- Apple TV (fourth generation)
- Android phones and gadget with Android 4.1 or later
- Android TV and multimedia devices with Android 4.1 or later
- Samsung smart TVs (2012 and later)
- Intelligent Tizen Samsung TVs (2015 and later)
- LG NetCast smart TVs (2012-2014)
- Intelligent WebOS LG TVs (2014 and later)
- Hisense Vidaalite 2.0, Intelligent U2 Vidaa TVs (2016 and later, Africa only)
- DStv Explora (South Africa, Kenya, Nigeria only)
- Apple AirPlay
- Google Cast (streaming from the Showmax app for Android or iOS)
- Xbox One
- PlayStation 4 (South Africa only)
Countries That Supports Showmax Pro
Showmax is available in the following countries:
In Africa: Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cape Verde, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea “Ivory, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritius, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Reunion, Rwanda, Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha, Sao Tome, and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, South Africa South, South of Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe
Outside Africa: Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Saint – Marin, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and United Kingdom