The Xiaomi Redmi 5X (shortly called the Xiaomi Mi 5X) is the end result of Xiaomi’s effort to replicate what Apple did with the iPhone 7 Plus. Speaking of replicate, only the design and build of the device took as much as it could from the iPhone 7 Plus.
Other than that, the Redmi 5X can be arguably said to be one of the best smartphone the Chinese company manufactured in 2017. To have a clearer picture of what I’m talking about, read on about the Xiaomi Redmi 5X under the headers below.
Design & Display
Beautifully engraved in a smoothly textured metal body, the Xiaomi Redmi 5X is just as premium as it was expected to come. The sleekness and slimness of the Redmi 5X is another attribute to admire as the device comes with a dimension of 155.4 mm x 75.8 mm x 7.3 mm and is available in Black, Gold and Rose Gold colours.
Looking at the above image of the rear view of the Redmi 5X pretty much sparks memories of the iPhone 7 Plus. Doesn’t it? The position and form of the dual camera set-up, as well as the faint gold lining that runs just at the top edge of the device all screams “iPhone 7 Plus”!
The bottom of the device houses the speaker grill, USB Type-C port and the 3.5 mm headphone jack.
The Xiaomi Redmi 5X rocks a 2.5D curved 5.5 inch Full HD display with efficient Corning Gorilla Glass protection against scratches and dust. This somewhat eliminates the need for an external shattered glass screen protector.
The Xiaomi Redmi 5X runs the Android v7.0 Nougat operating system and laced with Xiaomi’s latest MIUI interface.
Performance and Memory
With the Redmi 5X, be you a gamer, a heavy smartphone user or you barely use your device, fluid processing of operations is assured. The device uses Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 625 SoC with 8 cores (Octa cores) that all run at a fast speed of 2.0 GHz.
In addition, the device comes with a massive amount of RAM (4GB) and internal memory (64GB). It also supports expansion up to 128GB via the second SIM card slot.
Camera and Battery
The Redmi 5X comes with twin camera lenses on the rear – dual 12 MP + 12 MP and dual LED flash. On the front, there’s a single 5 megapixels lens in charge of selfie duties.
Powering this device is a non-removable Lithium Polymer battery with a capacity of 3,080 mAh which is capable of providing up to 26 hours of talk time. Charging the Redmi 5X from 0 to 100% should take relatively little time as the device comes with the Quick Charge technology on board.
Xiaomi Redmi 5X Specifications
- 2G: GSM 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz.
- 3G: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 2100 MHz.
- 4G: LTE with VoLTE.
- Network Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE Cat6 300/50 Mbps.
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM, dual standby.
- SIM Count: Dual SIM.
- OS: Android 7.0 (Nougat).
- User Interface: MIUI 9
Design & Display
- Dimensions: 155.4 mm x 75.8 mm x 7.3 mm
- Weight: 165g.
- Display size: 5.5 inches.
- Display Resolution: 1080 x 1920 pixels (FHD)
- Pixel resolution: ~401 ppi pixel density.
- Display Technology: IPS LCD Capacitive touchscreen.
- Form Factor: Touchscreen Bar.
- Build: Metal Unibody Design.
- Protection: n/a.
- Colours: Black, Gold, and Rose Gold.
- Processor Name/Technology:
- Processor Speed: 2.0GHz.
- Number of Processor Cores: 8 (Octa-Core).
- Graphics Processor: Qualcomm Adreno 506
- RAM: 4GB
- Internal Storage: 64GB
- External Storage: expandable up to 256GB with microSD.
- Sensors: Proximity Sensor, Accelerometer, Ambient Light, Compass, Hall, Gyroscope, Fingerprint
- Lens: Dual 12 MP + 12 MP
- LED Flash: Dual LED flash
- Video recording: Yes, 1080p@30fps.
- Properties: Autofocus, Continuous shooting, Digital zoom, Exposure compensation, Face detection, Geotagging, HDR
- Lens: 5MP.
- LED Flash: Not available
- Video recording: Yes.
- Properties: Magic Mirror, Face Beauty 3.0, Real Time beauty
- Music Support: AAC, AMR, MP2, MP3, M4A, MKA.
- Loudspeaker: Yes.
- Audio Technology: n/a.
- Video Support: MP4/MPEG4/H.263/H.264 player.
- FM Radio: Yes.
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.2.
- Bluetooth Profiles: A2DP, LE.
- WiFi: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n , Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot.
- GPS: GPS + GLONASS.
- USB: micro-USB v2.0.
- USB OTG: Yes.
- NFC: No.
- 3.5mm audio jack: Yes.
- Battery Capacity: 3,080mAh.
- Battery Technology: Lithium Polymer
- Removable? No.
- Fast Charging: Yes.
- Extra Features: –
- Launch Date: November 2017.
- Availability: November 2017.
How much is the Xiaomi Redmi 5X?
The Xiaomi Redmi 5X costs about $289.99 to $330.