Do you have a large file ranging over 1GB you wish to send/transfer to other devices? With high-resolution videos now in GBs (Gigabytes).
Email giants like Gmail can not send such heavy files and neither can WhatsApp and Facebook which leaves you to look for other ways to transfer heavy data to other devices.
They are dedicated apps and cloud services that you can use to transfer big files from iPhone to Android/PC. In this article, we will look at common ways to send large files or videos from your iPhone to other devices.
Table of Contents
- Send Large Files using iCloud
- Using AirDrop
- Send Large Files Using the Send Anywhere App
- Send Large Files through Google Drive/Dropbox
Send Large Files using iCloud
Do you have a file that can’t be sent through email? Then you can share the location of the file on your iCloud storage.
Every iCloud user is given a whopping 5 GB storage for free. Hence, you can easily share your large files with someone over iCloud.
Follow the steps below to do this:
- Tap on Files from the home screen
- Next, tap on iCloud Drive to view all files in your iCloud storage.
- Then locate the large file you want to share and select the same by tapping on the Select button.
- Tap the Share icon to view the various sharing options on your iPhone.
- Tap Add People.
- Next, select the option you would like to share the link and then tap on Share Options to have control who can view or change the file.
If the files are not stored in your iCloud account, then you can move them to your iCloud storage.
The best feature of AirDrop is that there is no limit on the size of the file you can transfer. For example, you can send a 5 GB file from an iPhone to a MacBook Air.
Unfortunately, AirDrop is only available to Apple devices and it can’t be used to send files outside its platform. To send files across from iPhone to Android you will have to make use a third-party app.
Send Large Files Using the Send Anywhere App
According to the name, Send Anywhere allows you to send files directly between two devices and platform without the need to sign up for an account.
To send using this app, both devices must have it installed on both ends. This app is available on all platforms including Chrome, macOS, Linux, Windows and Amazon Kindle.
How It Works?
After selecting the file, the app will generate a six-digit key and the files will be sent to the receiving device but not until it has entered the six-digit key.
In a case where you want to send files to multiple devices, you can use the Share Link feature that allows recipients to download the files directly from the generated link. The link is only valid for 48 hours.
Download from App Store and Play Store
Send Large Files through Google Drive/Dropbox
Imagine you ran out of storage space on iCloud and you are low on cash but you have a large file to transfer. Well, you can upload the files in Dropbox or Google Drive and share the link with the receiver.
You can also use this method to transfer your recent photos and videos from your phone to your computer. It is simple by uploading the files into Google Drive and later access the same files on your computer.
To do this, follow the steps below:
- First, install Google Drive on your iPhone
- Tap on the Google Drive icon from your home screen
- Locate the blue icon at the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Next, tap on Upload. Tap on Folder if you would like to create a new folder for your files.
- Next, tap Photos and Videos
- Then select the files and folders you want to upload to Google Drive and hit the Upload button on the top right corner on the screen.
With that done, your file has been uploaded to your Google Drive. You can access the uploaded files by logging on to Google Drive using your Gmail details. If you like to share files with someone, you can do that by sharing the file link.
Google Drive offers 15 GB of free space for all its users. Likewise, you can use Dropbox after creating a free account and they will allocate a free 2 GB storage space to you.
The options above are listed based on your need. We recommend you use AirDrop to send files if the recipient is an iPhone user. However, if you would like to send large files from an iPhone to an android device or a PC, then it’s best you leave out AirDrop because it is limited to only iDevices.
Share your thoughts and feedback to us by using the comment section.