Flooring decisions are critical for anyone who cares about their living or working space. The choice you make will determine whether you enjoy your space or not.
In this article, we’ll discuss LVP flooring as an option.
LVP stands for Luxury Vinyl Planks. Luxury Vinyl Plank flooring refers to the use of a vinyl plank that has been specially treated and finished with a high-gloss finish.
This type of flooring can be installed in any room where it’s desired.
Step-by-Step Process of LVP Installation
Installing the Luxury vinyl floor is pretty straightforward even though you still need an expert to do it right.
Below are the steps involved:
- Measure the area where you want to install the floor. Make sure there’s enough space around the edges so that no nails poke through the surface when installing the planks. These measurements will help you determine the pieces of vinyl needed to complete the task.
- Cut the boards into lengths according to the measurements provided by the manufacturer. You may also have them cut at home if they’re too long.
- Lay all the vinyl flooring planks on top of each other. Use wood glue to attach the first board onto the subfloor. Then lay down another piece of plywood over the entire assembly.
- Attach the next layer using more wood glue. Continue until all the layers are attached together.
- Let the whole thing dry overnight before moving forward.
- Once everything dries up, remove the old floorboards and replace them with new ones. Make sure to get rid of the staples used during removal.
- Finally, apply some finishing touches such as sanding and polishing. You can also use a sealer to protect the floor from staining and scratching. Your brand new luxury vinyl floor is ready!
Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring Installation Tips
If you’ve decided to install luxury vinyl plank floors at home, then follow these tips below to make sure everything goes smoothly.
- Measure your space first – Before starting the installation, measure how much space you need to cover. Before buying the materials, you know exactly how big your room is to avoid under or over-buying.
- Use an anti-slip pad under each Board – When installing luxury vinyl plank floors, always put down an anti-slip mat first. This safety material helps avoid slipping or sliding when walking around the house.
- Consider your color scheme – There are many different color options available for luxury vinyl plank floors. But what works great in one area might not suit another. So take note of the color scheme you want to achieve and choose accordingly.
- Don’t forget about maintenance! – The luxury vinyl plank floors require maintenance, so consider the cost and necessary tools.
The Pros Of LVP Flooring
There are several advantages associated with using luxury vinyl planks over other types of floors, such as laminate or engineered hardwoods.
- Durability – LVPs have a long life expectancy. You won’t need to replace these floors every few years. LVP floors are suitable for high-traffic areas like the sitting room and the kitchen. They are a great alternative to hardwood flooring.
- Easy maintenance – Unlike most other kinds of flooring, there isn’t much upkeep required for maintaining LVPs. All you need to do is sweep up debris and vacuum regularly. This low maintenance makes LVP less costly than a real hardwood floor.
- Looks great – When compared to others vinyl flooring options, LVPs provide a beautiful appearance. It looks just like real wood!
- Low cost – Compared to other types of flooring, LVPs are relatively inexpensive. Plus, if you decide to sell your home later down the road, you may get a higher price for your property. Thanks to its unique features and sense of style.
- Ease of installation – If you’ve ever tried to install laminate or engineered hardwood floors before, you know how difficult it can be. But with LVPs, all you need to do is cut the board to fit perfectly into place. You can also go easy on professional installation as long as you get the necessary help.
- Versatility – With so many different styles available, you can find one that suits your needs. Whether you want something modern-looking or classic, you’ll find what you’re looking for here.
- Warranty – Most vinyl flooring companies offer warranties ranging between 10 and 20 years. Their vinyl products are also high-quality, so guaranteeing their customers long service isn’t a problem.
- Environmentally friendly – Since LVPs are manufactured from 100% recyclable natural materials. This helps reduce waste while protecting the environment.
- Customizable – There are hundreds of designs available. From simple patterns to intricate details, you can create whatever design you desire.
- Water-resistant – A waterproof floor is something you’d consider for your home and office too. This type of floor will prevent moisture from getting trapped under the floorboards. The best way to ensure this happens is to use an anti-slip pad underneath each plank. Water damage will be a thing of the past.
- Easy to clean – Luxury vinyl flooring is easy to clean. You don’t have to worry about cleaning spills immediately. Just wipe off any dirt with a cloth dampened with warm water and let it dry naturally. Also, this waterproof floor makes cleaning easy since water just flows without soaking.
- Warmth and underfoot comfort – Since its’ made from natural wood, this flooring style feels warmer and more comfortable than the regular ceramic tile.
- Subfloor protection – The thickness of luxury vinyl secures your subfloor better than other flooring options.
Cons of Luxury vinyl plank flooring
While LVPs come in handy for homeowners who prefer not to spend money on expensive renovations, some people might feel otherwise. Here’s why:
- Relatively Expensive – While LVPs aren’t necessarily more costly than traditional materials, they tend to cost more than their counterparts. However, keep in mind that the initial investment on this flooring type would pay itself back within months. You can find cheap vinyl, but it’ll cost you in the long run, and it also doesn’t work well on a concrete subfloor.
- Harder to find Materials – Because of its popularity, finding supplies has become harder. If you live where supply chains are limited, you may spend more time and money on this style.
- Not for Everyone – Some people simply dislike the look of luxury vinyl planks. Others think it doesn’t go well with specific colors. This flooring style seems to work better for some people and not others.
- Gluing Sucks – Luxury vinyl flooring requires gluing, which to some people isn’t fun. The stickiness, the time it takes to dry, and all the mess. Also, there’s no guarantee that the glue won’t crack over time. It could even peel up if left unattended.
Types of vinyl flooring
There are several forms of luxury vinyl floors available on the market today.
- Natural Hardwood Planks – These hardwood planks come from real wood such as oak, maple, cherry, etc. They produce a solid hardwood floor with a natural look and are very durable.
- Engineered Wood Flooring – These are made out of recycled materials like plastic bottles, paper products, cardboard, etc. They offer a great alternative to traditional hardwoods because they don’t require much maintenance. However, engineered woods tend to cost more than other types of floors.
- Laminate Flooring – Laminate flooring comes in many different styles, including solid color, patterned, textured, and even faux stone. It offers a low price point compared to other options on the market. But laminate tends to wear down over time so if you plan on using it long-term, consider investing in some protection.
Luxury Vinyl Planks are among the most popular choices among homeowners looking for affordable yet stylish flooring solutions. Its durability, ease of installation, and affordability make them ideal for anyone wanting to add value to their house.
However, it still has its downsides like any other flooring option. Consider its pros and cons, then decide if it fits your description of a perfect floor.