Star Wars star, Alec Guinness, who played the character of Obi-Wan Kenobi, once asked a devoted fan who proudly said he had seen Star Wars about 100 times, to promise that he won’t ever watch it again.
Alec wasn’t a fan of the character he played nor was he a fan of the movie franchise, but guess what, he isn’t alone.
On several occasions, actors take on roles they are not proud of, for many reasons. Here is a list of 15 movie actors who couldn’t stand the role they played in films and why.
Table of Contents
- 1. Robert Pattinson (Edward Cullen in Twilight)
- 2. Evangeline Lilly (Kate Austen in Lost)
- 3. Alec Guinness (Obi-Wan Kenobi in Star Wars)
- 4. Sean Connery (James Bond in James Bond movies)
- 5. Halle Berry (Catwoman in Catwoman)
- 6. Megan Fox (Mikaela Banes in Transformers)
- 7. Blake Lively (Serena van der Woodsen in Gossip Girl)
- 8. Jamie Dornan (Christian Grey in Fifty Shades of Grey)
- 9. Stephen Dillane (Stannis Baratheon in Game Of Thrones)
- 10. Katherine Heigl (Alison Scott in Knocked Up)
- 11. Jennifer Garner (Elektra in Elektra)
- 12. Jessica Alba (Sue Storm in Fantastic Four)
- 13. George Clooney (Batman in Batman & Robin)
- 14. Christopher Plummer (Captain von Trapp The Sound of Music)
- 15. Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Tom in (500) Days of Summer)
1. Robert Pattinson (Edward Cullen in Twilight)
Robert Pattinson is possibly the only person who detests the role he played he most. He affirmed that he felt like his role stopped progressing while he was acting.
Robert personally thinks that Edward Cullen, despite all his perfection, is downright ridiculous. He also stated that he hated his character the more he read the script.
2. Evangeline Lilly (Kate Austen in Lost)
Evangeline confessed that her popular character, Kate, was cool and stylish at the beginning of the show but became even more obnoxious and predictable as the show went on.
The actress grew to dislike her character, who grew from being interesting and autonomous to someone who chased two men around the island.
3. Alec Guinness (Obi-Wan Kenobi in Star Wars)
According to Alec’s words in his diary when he was filming Star Wars, Apart from the money, I regret having embarked on the film. It is unimaginable and unbelievable to think that the actor wasn’t a fan of the movie millions of people love.
He thought of it as fairytale rubbish. He expressed his distaste for the dialogue in the movie since the role of Obi-Wan made him feel out of touch with the younger generation and old.
4. Sean Connery (James Bond in James Bond movies)
The role of James Bond 007 brought Sean Connery money and fame, however, he paid for it by the character being forever connected to him. Sean feels the James Bond character is yet to be developed since the release of the first movie.
He also clearly expressed his thoughts, stating that he has always felt strong dislike for James Bond and would much like to have him killed.
5. Halle Berry (Catwoman in Catwoman)
It’s apparent that Halle Berry bags the award for the actress who dislikes her role the most. She herself showed up and picked up her Worst Actress award for her role of Catwoman. Gave her speech and thanked Warner Bros. for putting her into the awful movie.
6. Megan Fox (Mikaela Banes in Transformers)
It isn’t Mikaela Megan Fox hates, it was what her character depicted in the movie. She stated a number of times that her role in the movie wasn’t about acting but she was continually sexualized. Fox said that the one instruction that kept ringing from the movie directors was Be hot.
7. Blake Lively (Serena van der Woodsen in Gossip Girl)
Blake Lively clearly highlights that she’s completely different from Serena Van Der Woodsen, the character she’s possibly most well-known for.
She admitted that she wouldn’t be proud to be someone like the role she played in Gossip Girl and thinks that Serena van der Woodsen isn’t a great example for girls to emulate.
8. Jamie Dornan (Christian Grey in Fifty Shades of Grey)
This is a very interesting movie and many actors would wish they had gotten the role, but Jamie Dornan says that he is the direct opposite of his character in Fifty Shades of Grey.
Nonetheless, Jamie doesn’t blame his character for his kind of person and his obsession. He also doesn’t think that he would get along with the type of person Christian is.
9. Stephen Dillane (Stannis Baratheon in Game Of Thrones)
Stephen not only dislikes his character in Game Of Thrones, but also the show itself. He says the series was too hardcore and brutal for him.
The actor said that he found it difficult to understand what was happening and what the scenes represented the project and the role he played just wasn’t for him.
10. Katherine Heigl (Alison Scott in Knocked Up)
Katherine Heigl confessed that it was difficult for her to love the movies simply because she disliked how women were portrayed in them. She explained that men were portrayed as lovable, witty, and funny, while women as humorless and stuck-ups. The actress wasn’t fond of her character, referring to her as a killjoy.
11. Jennifer Garner (Elektra in Elektra)
The only reason why the actress took on the role of Elektra was that it was part of her contract as a Daredevil spinoff. Michael Vartan who is Jennifer’s friend said that the actress called to tell him that the movie was awful.
It explains why Jennifer doesn’t have any soft spot towards the role she played either because a she’s had her distaste for the movie from the get-go.
12. Jessica Alba (Sue Storm in Fantastic Four)
Jessica was very dissatisfied with her role on Fantastic Four. The way she saw herself in the superhero movie was totally different from the director’s perception of Sue Storm. Jessica was so dissatisfied that she even almost quit acting the movie.
She said the director kept instructing her not to make that face, told her to cry pretty, and to leave her face flat because the tears would be improvised later using computer-generated imagery (CGI).
13. George Clooney (Batman in Batman & Robin)
George Clooney continues to apologize for the role he played in Batman & Robin because he believed he ruined the franchise.
14. Christopher Plummer (Captain von Trapp The Sound of Music)
Even I love The Sound of Music. Most people grew up loving this family movie. It is still one of the United States of America’s most loved films. However, The Sound of Music was hated by Plummer himself. He hated it so much that he often referred to it as The Sound of Mucus or as that movie.
He not only disliked the movie, he also hated the role he played, saying that Captain von Trapp was a boring character and that trying to bring some humor out of him was like beating a dead horse.
15. Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Tom in (500) Days of Summer)
What viewers saw in the movie was totally different from the actor’s perception of what his role in the movie was. Gordon-Levitt dislikes his character and assumes Tom is selfish.
He thought that his obsession with the girl made him project his personal expectations on her, despite the fact that she already stated her position. Gordon-Levitt doesn’t agree that Tom is a good person and is concerned that the girls think he is.
What do you think Have you seen any of the above-listed movies and do you agree with the actors regarding their characters Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.