As we operate data in our computers or other storage devices too often, data loss accidents happen every now and then. If you just deleted files by Delete, they were thrown into recycle bin, where you can restore them by using Restore.
But if you use Shift + Delete to delete files or empty files in recycle bin, it’s not so easy to rescue them with simple clicks. Here, we are going to show you how to recover lost files with CMD as well as third-party solution.
CMD (Command Prompt) is a Windows built-in command-line application. It allows you to interact with the system by using command line.
Many common operations are available, such as check and solve disk errors, manage disk or partition space, delete or copy files, and so on.
What’s more, you can recover lost files with CMD easily from mistaken deletion, virus infection, logically damaged partition, and lost partition. Now, let’s take a look at how to achieve it.
How to Recover Files with CMD in Detailed Steps
As a snap-in tool in Windows system, Command Prompt is widely used for disk management and data recovery.
In most cases, you have chance to recover lost files with CMD just within several steps (we take Windows 10 as example).
- Press Windows + X button to launch the Command Prompt as an administrator.
- Type chkdsk *: /d in the window and press Enter (d stands for the drive letter of the drive that contained the lost files once).
- When the command completes, type drive letter again and hit Enter.
- Type attrib -h -r -s /s /d *.*, then press Enter. Wait for a moment until the command completes.
The detailed steps of other Windows systems are very similar. You can perform in this way to recover files in other Windows system.
When the command of data recovery is finished, a new folder holding the recovered files will be created on the drive with .chk format. You can change the format and location as you like.
How to Recover Files from Flash Memory with MiniTool
In fact, the flash memory is more fragile than the hard drives. The common used SD card and USB flash drive are the examples.
To recover files from such devices, you need to connect them to computer in order to let system access to them. The specific steps are similar to the previous part (recover files from local hard drive).
But how do you recover data if the drive is corrupted. A piece of free data recovery software can be helpful in this circumstance MiniTool Power Data Recovery.
How to recover files from files from corrupted SD card:
- Connect the corrupted SD card to PC via a card reader or an USB cable.
- Launch MiniTool Power Data Recovery. Select Removable Disk Drive to initiate.
- Select the target SD card to scan by clicking Scan. Just be patient to wait for the completion. The duration only depends on the used volume of the SD card.
- When the scan ends, you can check the scanned results (listed by path) one by one to find what you need. To locate the needed files quicker, Filter and Show Lost Files are very useful.
- Click Save to store the recover the selected files. Specify a location to keep them.
You have accomplished the process of SD card data recovery after finishing all these steps. Go to the specified location, and you can view and use the recovered files.
In a word, Command Prompt is a powerful tool not only for managing disk, but also for data recovery. We hope you can get to know how to recover lost files with CMD correctly.
In addition, a third-party application is also helpful because you can realize more operations with it easily. Don’t forget to try the two solutions in case that you meet such a case.