Bank Verification Number was introduced into the Nigerian Banking System on September 14, 2014, but was not well known across the country until late 2015 and early 2016, when the federal government made it mandatory for all Banks and Banking sector
Please note that Bank Verification Number is an 11 digit number that will be attached to your Bank Account information and sent to all Banks in the country.
One of the best points about this system is that all Nigerian Banks have accepted this monetary policy, which means your Bank Verification Number and your Bank Account information are visible to all Nigerian Banks regardless of the type someone is trying.
The main reason behind the government’s introduction of Bank Verification Number is to stop the increase in the rate of financial theft and fraud, corruption among politicians, and wealthy citizens involved in illegal business.
It is also believed that innovation guarantees transparency in the Banking sector. It will also contribute to the immediate and efficient provision of Banking data to people in an emergency or corruption.
Table of Contents
- What is Bank Verification Number?
- Why do we Need a Bank Verification Number?
- How to Check Bank Verification Number Online Via Mobile Phone
- How can I put my Bank Verification Number online?
What is Bank Verification Number?
Bank Verification Number is an 11-digit code sent to you by the bank after your fingerprints and facial photos have been registered. The Central Bank of Nigeria enforced this code as a security measure to fight and control fraudulent banking transactions.
It would help if you go to the Bank of your choice, but it is recommended that you register with the Bank where you do business or with the Bank where you have an account.
Then you need to follow these procedures which include:
- Bank Verification Number registration form request
- Before sending the form to the Bank’s registration publication, ensure that you have correctly entered all the necessary information in the form.
- Wait until you present your biometrics, including fingerprints and facial features, to the responsible officer.
- Before leaving the Bank, make sure you have a registration account. The registration certificate contains all of the information you submitted on the registration form, date of registration, and the Bank name in which it is registered.
- You will receive a short message from a representative of the Bank. This message contains your Bank Verification Number data after 24 hours.
Why do we Need a Bank Verification Number?
The BVN (Bank Verification Number) code has become a vital part of the Nigerian Banking system because the Central Bank of Nigeria made it necessary.
With your secret 11-digit number, you can do everything from opening multiple bank accounts to protecting those accounts from unauthorized access.
Your Bank Verification Number is essential, and since it is something only one can have, you should keep it and never reveal it or lose it to anyone.
However, if you have lost the paper you wrote Bank Verification Number on or need to access it immediately, there is an easier way to verify the Bank Verification Number code.
How to Check Bank Verification Number Online Via Mobile Phone
If you’ve lost Bank Verification Number and don’t know how to get it back, don’t panic because there is an easy way to do it.
You can easily find or verify your Bank Verification Number online by using your mobile phone. Bank Verification Number can be accessed by any telephone via the Internet, regardless of the version or the brand. You don’t need to have any network connection; as long as your phone can send and receive messages, you’re good to go.
All you have to do on your phone, call *565*0#. Works on MTN, GLO, AIRTEL, ETISALAT (9mobile).
*565*0# is a universal code to confirm/download your Bank Verification Number, as applicable, regardless of the mobile network you are using.
This means that all mobile network subscribers, whether Airtel, Glo, 9mobile phone subscribers, or MTN, only need to call *565*0# to check their Bank Verification Number online.
Here is the information you need to know about Bank Verification Number and your account
Without Bank Verification Number, you cannot withdraw money from the point of sale or an ATM.
- Bank Verification Number registration can be done in one day.
- Only Bank Verification Number can have a bank account
- CBN has approved Bank Verification Number rules
- Bank Verification Number is not intended for children under the age of 18.
- Be sure to update your registration information after any changes to the information you provided during registration or a registration change.
Note: You can dial *565*0# to verify your Bank Verification Number on any network you use, MTN, Glo, 9Mobile, or Airtel.
For all GTB customers, you can call *737*61# to check your Bank Verification Number online.
Or you can also:
- Access the GTBank application on your phone
- Click on the menu column
- The Bank Verification Number code is displayed in the menu.
How can I put my Bank Verification Number online?
To get your Bank Verification Number online, you can:
- Confirm your Bank Verification Number by logging into your bank’s app and clicking on the menu bar you will see your Bank Verification Number.
- Select a universal code.