It has a user-friendly interface that enables them to surf and search for their favorite songs, albums or playlists from different genres and listen to them.
Songs can also be downloaded via recommendations too (songs that have the highest downloads per time). It was launched in November 2015.
The major people in charge are Susan Wojcicki (the Chief Executive Officer of YouTube), T. Jay Fowler (The Director of Product Management, YouTube) and Lyor Cohen (YouTube Global Head of Music).
It is available on platforms like Android devices, iOS devices, Amazon Alexa, Google Home, Sonos, Android TV and Android Auto. There is also a premium account which is for paid subscribers.
It provides services like ad-free streaming, audio versions of YouTube videos, and downloading audios for offline play.
This platform is basically an avenue to slow the growth of iOS apps like Apple Music or Spotify since YouTube Music is very similar to them in terms of pricing and user interface and experience.
YouTube Music Premium
For users of YouTube Premium (formerly YouTube Red) have access to premium versions of YouTube Music and Google Play Music (while it was very relevant).
Their services are available in 95 countries including countries across South America, North America, Europe, Oceania (former Australia), and in parts of Africa and Asia.
It costs about $9.99 a month for single users. There is a three-month free trial you can take advantage of on your own. There are other payment plans to leverage on such as:
- The Family Plan: This costs $14.99 a month and has a one-month free trial.
- The Student Plan: This costs $4.99 a month
Features of YouTube Music
- Ease of Use: You can use it easily on any device. You just have to create an account on your device, and it can be accessed anywhere.
- Clarity: You can find whatever you want on the app’s library without searching very far.
- Has Fewer Distractions: The App is designed to give fewer distractions. Easy Navigations makes the user experience really easy. The Premium version also makes it ad-free and has no restrictions.
- Affiliation with Google: It is easy to connect YouTube Music to your Google Home and Google Assistant. You can easily say Hey Google! Play me a particular song! and trusty Google Assistant will (with an internet connection) play that particular song from YouTube Music.
- Personalization: When you register into the app, it asks you your favourite genres of songs, favourite artists and other questions, so that the app can be personalized to your taste. Any song related to your favourites will be recommended to you every time you log on to the app.
- Wider Library of Songs: Because YouTube is a platform to upload music videos and audios, YouTube, therefore, has a wider range of songs, unlike many other music streaming applications.
One small issue with the app is its inability to crossfade into another song, unlike platforms like Spotify and Apple Music. However, YouTube music gives a great experience of good music.